Saturday, March 12, 2011

Movie Review: Made in Dagenham

I don't do too many movie reviews and am not that great at being a critic. However, I felt it's worth noting a few things about a movie I just saw, "Made in Dagenham." My town's theater showed it as part of the their Cinema Art series on Wednesdays two weeks ago. I'd heard a few things about the film in advance and thought it might be interesting to see. Once I learned it was coming to my town, I just had to make an effort to see it.

The film is a dramatization of the Ford sewing machinists strike in 1968, a piece of history that some people may not have learned about. The strike occurred at the Ford Dagenham assembly plant. The female workers went out on strike against sexual discrimination and desire for equal pay. This ultimately led to the Equal Pay Act of 1970.

I was not aware of all of this history, but nevertheless found the film interesting and can say it's a must-see. Be sure to check it out on DVD.

No comments: