Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Starbucks Trenta would be too much for me

Once again I am blogging about something I don't normally do--coffee.  I drink coffee even less than I read horoscopes, that is almost never.   The supposed change in the Zodiac sign dates and the new Starbucks Trenta were both subjects of two different writers' columns in my hometown's weekend paper last Friday and both articles prompted me to give my two cents on the two subjects even if they aren't a big thing on my mind or in my life.  I want caffeine almost every day, but coffee generally isn't how I go about getting it.  


I actually drank some coffee once in college to try to stay awake while writing a paper.  My tongue was not used to the taste, so it tasted weird.  But before then and ever since I have not been a coffee person.  My desire for caffeine comes from drinking caffeinated soda, namely cola. Caffeinated citrus drinks have more caffeine than colas, so I don't drink a lot of those.  I only tried Sun Drop since it's new to the area where I live and I had been curious about the stuff since hearing about it about 10 years ago.  My last bottle of Sun Drop is still half-full two weeks after I purchased both of them.  A two-liter bottle of soda lasting longer than three days in my fridge would be unusual for other sodas in two-liter bottles, but not for this one since it's a flavor of soda I don't drink much.   My final verdict on Sun Drop is that I will only purchase it once in a while and that's difficult to say just how often.  For more about my Sun Drop experience, read my entries from January 6  and 12.  

trenta_resize.jpg

Now onto the Starbucks Trenta.  "Trenta" is Italian for "thirty" and  that would be an awful lot of coffee.  I have to buy a 32-ounce of soda to get a hot dog meal deal at the Extra Mile mini-mart at Chevron, and that was a lot of Diet Coke for one meal, so I decided not to get the meal after getting it once to twice.  I haven't gotten a hot dog and soda from the mini mart in a while, but  I'd rather just buy the 20-ounce bottle of coke if I ever do again.  Thirty-two ounces of diet Coke is a lot for me, so I can't imagine drinking 30 ounces of coffee, if I were more of a coffee person.  I can't recall if I ever got one of the Big Gulps from 7-11, let alone the Super Big Gulp. I fI have to get a fountain soda from a fast-food restaurant, the 21-ounce size is all right for me.   

The Trenta it says is as big as as the human stomach.  OMG.  And from the Seattle Daily Weekly:

"While we have introduced the Trenta size (31 oz.) in certain markets, it is simply a new item we are testing in response to our customers asks for larger iced tea and coffee. Trenta is only available for iced teas and iced coffees. Unsweetened the beverages are less than 5 calories, but even a sweetened iced coffee or tea in a Trenta cup would be less than 200 calories."

(Read the rest of that article here.)

Starbiucks seems to have a thing for using Italian words as the names for its sizes of coffee.  They already have a  20-ounce  coffee called Venti, the Italian word for "twenty."


Bottom line: if I ever get tempted to drink coffee, it will not be in a 30-ounce cup.  And I likely will never be met with the temptation of drinking coffee, since I'm already not so used to it. 

No comments: